Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Prayer

I'm going to Victoria Texas today to visit friends and family for the holiday. I have a three day mini-vacation to get away from work and Austin. Getting away from work is a good thing, but leaving Austin isn't. There is really nothing fun to do in Victoria like there is in Austin, but I'm going for family and I won't worry about Victoria being boring(I'll make my own fun). Hopefully my grandmother makes some goodies to eat, so I can't wait to stuff my face.

I was watching this History channel Thanksgiving special about the turkey, and how different a turkey raised in farms, to meet consumers demands, is from a wild turkey. The farm raised turkey weighs 50% more then a wild bird due to the vitamins, proteins, and who knows whatever else they feed it to get them that big. The farm raised bird looses a lot of its eye site and the ability to fly. The special showed the turkey's life in a chronologically order from its birth, until its death when its slaughtered. There something that so mechanical and eerie about how animals are systematically slaughtered to meet the supermarket needs. I'm really on the verge of going vegan for ethical reasons. i digress.

My friend David Felts from Victoria sent me a link to this video, Thanksgiving Prayer by William S. Burroughs:

No comments: